Page No 46:
What was Vijay Singh’s weakness? Which awkward situation did it push him into?
Vijay Singh’s weakness was that he was fond of boasting. This weakness put him into the awkward situation of going alone into the Haunted Desert at night to meet a ghost.
Was the old woman’s gift to Vijay Singh eccentric? Why?
The old woman’s gift to Vijay Singh was eccentric or unusual because it contained nothing but a lump of salt and an egg. Both of these were not enough for one travelling through a desert.
Why did Vijay Singh ask the ghost disguised as Natwar to come closer?
Vijay Singh asked the ghost disguised as Natwar to come closer because he had realized that he was not his friend, but a ghost. He wanted to have a better look at the ghost, and like all good wrestlers, he wanted to size up his opponent.
What made the ghost speechless? Why?
The ghost was speechless because Vijay Singh had called him a “plain, lying ghost”. The ghost was used to people starting back in horror when they met him; but Vijay Singh had insulted him.
Why did Vijay Singh say “Appearances can be deceptive”?
Vijay Singh said “appearances can be deceptive” because both he and the ghost were pretending to be someone else. Vijay Singh was pretending to be a brave and fearless wrestler and the ghost had pretended to be Natwar Singh.
Page No 51:
How did Vijay Singh use the egg? How did he use the lump of salt?
Vijay Singh demonstrated his strength to the ghost by making him believe that the egg was a lump of rock filled with fluid, which he could crush. He did the same with the lump of salt, which the ghost thought was a rock containing salt. The ghost was mesmerised by this show of the pahalwan’s strength.
Why did Vijay Singh conclude that the ghost would not be a worthy opponent to him? Was he fair in his judgement?
Vijay Singh concluded that the ghost would not be a worthy opponent to him because the ghost was not strong enough to be able to crush the fluid-filled and salt-filled rocks. He was not fair in his judgement because he had fooled the ghost into believing that the things he had crushed were rocks.
Why did Vijay Singh ask the ghost to accompany him to town next day?
Vijay Singh asked the ghost to accompany him to town the next day because he wanted to display the ghost as his trophy of victory.
What made the ghost believe Vijay Singh was dead?
When the ghost hit the bolster on the bed with a stout club, he did not hear even a groan. This made him believe that Vijay Singh was dead.
Vijay Singh complained of insects in the cave. What was he referring to, and why?
When Vijay Singh complained of insects in the cave he was referring to the blows which the ghost had given to the bolster kept on the bed. He did this to make the ghost accept that he was a strong and formidable wrestler.
Was it really a ghost who Vijay Singh befooled? Who do you think it was?
The ghost’s cave contained the wealth that he had collected by looting and killing the people travelling through the Haunted Desert. So in reality, he could have been a robber who had disguised himself as a ghost for scaring and over powering innocent travellers.
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English Chapters
- Chapter 1 – Who Did Patrick’s Homework?
- Chapter 2 – How the Dog Found Himself a New Master!
- Chapter 3 – Taro’s Reward
- Chapter 4 – An Indian-American Woman in Space
- Chapter 5 – A Different Kind of School
- Chapter 6 – Who I Am
- Chapter 7 – Fair Play
- Chapter 8 – A Game of Chance
- Chapter 9 – Desert Animals
- Chapter 10 – The Banyan Tree
- Chapter 11 – A House, A Home (Poem)
- Chapter 12 – The Kite (Poem)
- Chapter 13 – The Quarrel (Poem)
- Chapter 14 – Beauty (Poem)
- Chapter 15 – Where Do All the Teachers Go (Poem)
- Chapter 16 – The Wonderful Words (Poem)
- Chapter 17 – Vocation (Poem)
- Chapter 18 – Whatif (Poem)
A pact with the Sun
- Chapter 1 – A Tale of Two Birds
- Chapter 2 – The Friendly Mongoose
- Chapter 3 – The Shepherd’s Treasure
- Chapter 4 – The Old-Clock Shop
- Chapter 5 – Tansen
- Chapter 6 – The Monkey and the Crocodile
- Chapter 7 – The Wonder Called Sleep
- Chapter 8 – A Pact with the Sun
- Chapter 9 – What Happened to the Reptiles
- Chapter 10 – A Strange Wrestling Match
NCERT Solutions for Class 6: